Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Cut one measure twice

My dad taught me at the ripe age of 8 the skills of cutting wood. Always verify twice the measurement and cut it once. We have all heard this age old saying. This morning I was to place an implant surgically guided case of course. This was for a major dental supplier who wanted me to try their new company out and maybe place their implants. I liked the system and said I would do a few cases and give my feed back, incorporate into dental lectures. I was looking forward to this.
As we all do before any case large or small I review my protocols check my instruments etc. The manufacturer had sent the right tissue punch, drills, but the wrong size implant. The reps reply when I called him. "that not cool". I said "its more than not cool. We have just inconvenienced my patient who took a day off from her work to be here. My time has been wasted and now I am loosing money." He asked,"what my time is worth?" I gave him the figure. I told him don't you understand this is marketing, image, reputation etc. etc. Who is really at fault? In my opinion are the people who placed the order with the dental supplier. The outside rep told me he gave the order to the inside rep. Here is my question. Why is the outside rep having the inside rep place his order. Seems ridiculous and double the work. I guess these corporate giants don't care about payroll expense.
The inside rep should of closely reviewed their order and checked it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment