Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Fifth Grade

When I was in fifth grade we had to pick a person in history who had made an impact on the field of business. My pick was Henry Ford I was fascinated with the man. Weird I know! We give him credit for developing mass manufacturing concepts. That's a given.
But, the biggest take away is the concept that he employed is surrounding ourselves with great people. Seek counsel from those smarter than us. Know the importance of delegating and not micromanaging your team. We have to let people excel and fly. We need to steer when necessary. We need to listen to what our team has to say. The greatest leaders surround themselves with incredible advisors. They challenge others. Ford once had a mechanic tell him that something was impossible to manufacture. Ford said keep trying and eventually you will figure it out.
My point here is hire great people. Train them and let them excel. Don't hold them back. Make sure you are having fun.
Recently I have been exploring making changes to my existing working space. Maybe moving to a different suite. Maybe remodeling what I am currently in. I am great full for surrounding myself with great people because I have gained invaluable insight into many areas of design principle and lease negotiations. My advice less headaches when we work with experts in their field.
As I digress into many areas in my writing today. The underlying message is to become a great leader and thinker like Ford. We need to keep surrounding ourselves with talented people and never accept that something can not be done.
Continuing to invest in ourselves and practice allows us to provide the best patient care possible.
Remember to take care of ourselves. Get outside and enjoy the fresh air like you did as a kid. At least the kids I grew up with we were always outside. Have tons of fun and bring out the fifth grader in you. It will help you make an impact each every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment